News

Family release tributes to 26-year-old killed after being shot twice in chest

The grieving family of a 26-year-old man fatally shot in broad daylight in an attack have released pictures in tribute to him.

Patrick Boyle, known as Paddy to friends and family, was shot twice in the chest in a street attack on Thursday in Huyton, Merseyside .

Witnesses reported seeing the gunman fleeing the scene on a bike after firing two shots at the victim.

Paramedics took Boyle to hospital but he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Tributes have since flooded in for the 26-year-old, who had served time behind bars over his violent criminal past.

He was among a gang of four who raided a McDonald’s restaurant in Huyton in 2012 when he was 18.

A court heard the four balaclava-clad men, wielding a metal bar and a nine-inch hunting knife between them, put two female staff-members at the fast food restaurant through a ‘terrifying’ ordeal.

Boyle was sentenced to six years behind bars over the raid.

After he was released, he was part of a gang who beat a dad unconscious after he confronted his daughter’s abusive ex-boyfriend.

Boyle, who was then aged 24, rained punches on 53-year-old Michael Pye in St Helen’s– leaving him with a broken nose and facial scars.

A court heard the victim’s daughter had been driven to despair by her ex’s threats.

Boyle was jailed over his role in wounding Mr Pye.

Tributes to him after his death described him as a ‘lovely lad’ who was ‘setting up a future’ for his family.

One shared a picture of Boyle on a beach with his dog in the sunset.

It said: “Taken too soon big lad, to think you had your head down setting a future up for your kids one of the few people I know that had a heart of gold, rest easy bro.”

Another shared a picture of Boyle outside Anfield, commenting: “Words can’t explain how cruel this world is! RIP Paddy Boyle.

“Such a gent, a true real one. So much love and respect to you and your dear family.

“Thinking of you and all your loved ones especially your best friend knasher and your beautiful boy. Gods taken back another angel too good for this earth, it’s just a shame it was too soon for us.”

Police investigating the shooting have been going house-to-house as they hunt for CCTV and forensic evidence locally.

Detectives are appealing for any drivers who were in the area around the time of the shooting and may have dashcam footage to come forward.

Detective Chief Inspector Simon Hurst, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are supporting Mr Boyle’s family through what is clearly an extremely difficult time for them.

“They have lost a son, father, brother and partner at a very young age, and we are doing everything in our power to make sure all of those responsible for taking Mr Boyle from them are brought to justice. “While we have spoken to potential witnesses, carried out an extensive forensic examination of the scene and are trawling through hours of CCTV from the local area, we believe drivers in the vicinity could hold vital clues about what happened.

“If you have a dashcam and were in the vicinity of Newway between 5.30-6.30pm on Thursday, 1 July, I urge you to check your footage for anything significant, in particular a man on a bike who we believe is responsible for Mr Boyle’s murder and who was reported to have ridden the bike in the direction of Liverpool Road.

“Please contact us urgently if you have dashcam, mobile phone or CCTV footage from Newway and the surrounding area at that time.

“We continue to make good progress with the investigation, and any additional intelligence we can gather could be vital in bringing the man who did this to justice.”